Library & Reading
All students in years 7, 8 and 9 at Connaught School for Girls participate in a three-year literacy programme to boost their reading levels. This programme is led by the English Department, Heads of Years 7, 8 and 9 and their Form Tutors. The programme, called Accelerated Reader, works with the following key steps:
- Students taking an initial 15-minute multiple choice reading test on a school computer to determine their personal reading level range.
- Students choosing a book within their reading level range from our library, bookshop or home bookshelf then reading during dedicated school time and at home.
- Students taking a 10-minute multiple choice comprehension quiz during a school lunchtime or after-school club on the book they have just finished reading.
- Students gaining points for every successful comprehension quiz, leading to individual and tutor group prizes and progress towards their individual points target
- Students taking further reading tests at the end of each half term with the school analysing each student’s revised reading level range and their progress and making interventions as necessary.
The School Library is open from 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Thursday and 8:00am to 4:30pm on Friday. Our current library stock of books has thousands of titles that have matching tests on the Accelerated Reader programme. All students and staff can gain remote access to the library using their unique barcode number and password. Remote access enables users to browse and reserve books, write reviews and see what others are reading:
- Click here to access the library from a computer
- Click here to access the library from an iPhone, iPad, iPod, Android SmartPhone or tablet
Video Guide on Accessing the School Library from a Computer